Tuesday, March 10, 2009


It’s been years since I have worn a heart rate monitor consistently. With the Breck Epic looming in the future I decided to start wearing one again to help monitor my training. I am coming into this season heavier than I have ever been. One of my goals is to get to my weight in check by race time. To accomplish this I need to slow down on the beer drinking (could be difficult) get 5 days a week in on the bike and watch my heart rate zones. I think most of us ride the same all the time, for us here in the valley it’s probably too hard, riding with friends often contributes to this. It is important to have days that are not all in the same zone. Doing so leads to flat heart rates and slow recovery. With a maximum heart rate of 185bps, my maximum weight loss and recovery heart rate is between 123 and 135 which seems ridiculously slow to me. I think I need a monitor to tell me what easy is more so than what hard is. It’s ok to ride easy some days and it’s much better than taking the day off, sitting on the couch does little to help you recover or lose weight. Any way I thought I would contribute something other than photos of me trashing my bikes or the jeep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed you were looking kind of fat... didn't want to say anything though. (jk) My best advice for moderate heart rate training is to get pregnant and ride your spin bike at 140 bps. You'll find yourself in great shape for the season, and will have an excuse for a little extra weight. Pavan

Street Swell said...

I havent been pregnant in years......maybe I'll give it a go.